With the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, many people starting searching for online jobs that offer a good income to help them sustain their households and achieve their long-term life goals. Unfortunately, the same was the case with teachers. As more people started looking for ways to earn online, several fraudulent online teaching apps to earn money started proliferating.
This made people, especially teachers, wary of going for the online mode of earning. As per a recent annual survey by Flexjobs, more than 80% of people looking for jobs are sceptical about online scams.
The Extent of Risk Involved
There are different levels of dangers involved in online scams. Here are some of the dangerous possibilities if teachers get caught in the net of online fraudsters:
- Selling personal information – If you register on fake teaching platforms, you may be giving them your personal information like email address, phone number, etc. Scammers then sell this information to other entities that may use it for nefarious purposes.
- Unauthorized payments – One of the most common ways of committing fraud is by asking for a user’s account details. Pretending to store the information for transferring the money earned, scammers could send an OTP and illegally authorise payment from your account.
- Identity theft – Scammers can also take your identity using the information you provide and pose as you to other individuals, asking for financial favours, and duping your known contacts.
How to Prevent Yourself from Falling Prey to Such Tactics?
Since there are several online teaching apps in India offering excellent earning opportunities, choosing a reliable platform becomes difficult. However, if you keep the following points in mind, you can protect yourself from getting duped:
- Pay attention to your instincts – If you feel the teaching opportunity came to you very easily, you should warn yourself. Think if you received the offer very easily and if it seems too good to be true.
- Be aware of scam indicators – Some signs are common in all scams, regardless of which industry it is committed in. For example, being asked for upfront money, disproportional payments, and asking for financial information are some of the glaring signs of a scam.
- Research the company – Before joining any online teaching app, find out about its background, business model and other information about the company to verify if it is a trustworthy business.
A Viable Option
Educators must be cautious before choosing any online platform to teach. However, keeping the above-mentioned factors in mind can help teachers make an informed decision.
One of the most dependable online teaching apps to earn money is bvidya. We clearly mention the terms and conditions before onboarding any educator. There is no upfront payment required. Moreover, teachers earn through their recorded videos and by conducting live classes for students.